06 February 2012

Not quite vindicated

My sister sent me a text on Thursday asking if I felt vindicated by the backlash against Komen. I responded by saying that vindicated wasn't the right word. What I am is finally relieved that maybe now I won't be alone in thinking that Komen isn't the world's greatest organization. That I won't be the only person in the store in October thinking that purchasing pink can openers and pink cookie packages won't stop breast cancer. And I won't be the only one with a bad attitude towards the Komen walk/run registration tables at the mall.

My hope from the Komen PR fallout is that 6 months from now, I won't be the only one who remembers.

I would also like to use this post as an opportunity to promote Breast Cancer Action, who is on the forefront of the raising awareness about the environmental causes of breast cancer. I should have mentioned BCA in my last post, but if you are looking to donate to or get involved with a nationally-recognized breast cancer organization who actually tries to help women, BCA is a good one to look into.

P.S. I hope this post makes sense. Insomnia does not help my writing.

1 comment:

Jeffrey Jocoy said...

Hi Julia,

After visiting a view breast cancer blogs I have found that many women that have been through or are going through breast cancer share your view about Komen. I checked out your blog and thought you had some great posts that help to spread cancer awareness. I wasn’t able to find the email contact for your blog but my organization, the Mesothelioma Center at Asbestos.com would be very interested in contributing an article to help raise awareness for mesothelioma with your visitors. If you are interested please feel free to email me back at jeff(@)asbestos.com.

Thanks,
-Jeff