16 October 2008

Milk Hormones

Thank you, Jonathan, for bringing to my attention a petition to encourage General Mills, maker of Yoplait yogurt, to use rBGH free milk in the making of the yogurt. Here is the link to the petition: http://www.thinkbeforeyoupink.org/. Please tell General Mills what you think of their hormone yogurt.

I am not a scientist, nor am I making claims to be very knowledgeable about what I am going to share. But.... I am very worried about the milk hormones used on our cows. An example of one problem is young girls entering puberty at young ages. But my concern today is on cancer and these hormones. Studies have been done which show a correlation between these hormones and cancer. Here is a link to a Google search with the very simple search terms "rBGH" and "cancer," www.google.com

Some day I will do another post on rBGH (I've got wedding tasks at hand). For now, I will just tell you that I am very convinced that these dairy hormones are playing a role in the prevalence of breast cancer in young women. Yoplait is one of the first brand name foods that I remember participating the pink marketing campaign. For years, Yoplait has collected its pink wrapper tops in honor of the search for a cure. Maybe if General Mills really cares about women with breast cancer, they can be also be an early leader in using hormone-free milk for their yogurt.

1 comment:

Lottie_Ellie said...

The yogurt we feed Charlotte and Eloise is rBGH free. I always wondered what that meant but figured if they listed it on the label that must be important. I feel like a better mother already. Now I need to check their cheese and milk.