04 February 2010

Fuzzy Brain

Recently a thought occurred to me: the popular children's rhyme about Fuzzy Wuzzy is a metaphor for chemo. Hair loss is only one of many side effects. A fuzzy or muddled brain is another. At times I wonder if my short term memory is gone forever. Sometimes when participating in a simple conversation, I will forget my thought. I often can’t remember what was said minutes before (by me or my conversational partner). Even as I write this blog entry, I am forgetting my thoughts mid-sentence and then sit at the computer waiting for the thought to return.

Now I know what you are thinking. You think “I forget things.” True. You probably do. Before chemo, I too would forget what item I sought in the living room or my truly brilliant reply within a conversation. But this sense of forgetfulness is a constant presence, whether I am at work or at play. At times, I worry that I’m forgetting something really important. In fact, right now, I know I had a “bigger picture” point to make in this blog entry but sadly it is escaping me at the moment.

1 comment:

Anna B said...

My name is Anna and I work with the I'm Too Young for This! Cancer Foundation. I'm not sure if you're familiar with our organization, but we provide support and advocacy for young adult cancer survivors. One of the many things we do is host the Stupid Cancer Blog, which features a blog roll of other young adult survivor's blogs. We would love to list your blog, but need your full names. Please get in touch with me at abrower@i2y.com

Thanks!
Anna