16 February 2010

Hat Free Zone

Last winter, I always had my bald head covered with either a cranial prosthetic or hat. I didn't want anyone to see my hair-free head. Not even Brandon. The idea of being bald made me unhappy and uncomfortable, the reality was even worse. A hat became a symbol of hiding. Now a year later, it is winter again, and the ice and snow show no signs of relenting. And I don't want to wear a hat.

I know hats are good for you. A hat keeps your body warm. And warm is good. Very good. But I still don't want to wear a hat. Hopefully, many years from now and after many therapy sessions, I will overcome my remaining psychological issues pertaining to chemo (so I apologize to you, those who read this blog, for the continuing chemo-related posts).

The reason why I choose to wear a hat this winter is so I can remain healthy for my next surgery. I don't want any pesky winter ailment holding me back from getting my next surgical procedure. Someday I will be normal again. I will wear a hat because I want to wear a hat, and I won't have another surgery on the horizon.

No comments: