05 August 2010

Not so into sharing

According to a recent Wall Street Journal article, the Susan G. Komen For the Cure foundation will fight you if you want to use the term "for the cure." Komen also won't share the color pink. Gee if only it seemed like Komen did more than raise awareness of Komen, I might feel differently about their possessiveness. Komen won't share the phrase or the colors with other breast cancer organizations nor will they share with other cancer foundations and charities. In case you haven't read all of my posts, I'm not so into the pink brigade. I understand the issue from a business/branding angle, but you would think a charity would be a little more understanding. Than again, what do I know?

"Charity Brawl: Nonprofits Aren't So Generous When a Name's at Stake." Wall Street Journal, 8/5/2010. Accessed online on 8/5/2010: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703700904575390950178142586.html?mod=WSJ_business_LeftSecondHighlights#articleTabs%3Darticle

P.S. I'm still recovering from my surgery so my brain is not totally functional otherwise I would probably have a lot more to say about this topic.

No comments: