16 November 2008

Ports of Call

Tomorrow I have my appointment with the local oncologist. This appointment will determine if I am healthy enough to begin chemotherapy. Hopefully allergies will not be a determinant because mine have been out of control all weekend. My nose will not stop running. Sneezing is fairly common as well.

Tomorrow's doctor is the one who wants me to take Tamoxifen. I do not want to take Tamoxifen. The other doctors I have seen have not recommended it is a course of action. My plan tomorrow is to inform the doctor that I will not be taking Tamoxifen. If he resists my plan, and tells me it is either his entire plan or nothing, I'll walk. I've already got another doctor lined up, waiting in the wings.

My decision to go with the local doctor came down to simple travel logistics. The thought of traveling to Columbus on a regular basis is unappealing for a variety of reasons: not sure how I'll feel during treatment, wear & tear on car, winter is approaching... Plus the chemo plan is the same (if I exclude mentioning the Tamoxifen, the clinical trial, and the ovarian freezing drugs).

Tomorrow is also an opportunity for the doctor to make a better impression on me. I guess you could say that I'm giving him a second chance. I really don't want to not like the doctor I'll be seeing regularly for 5 months. Luckily for me, the nurses in his office are very nice. All of my interactions with them have been very pleasant and informative.

If all goes according to plan, sometime in the next week or so, I will have a port surgically implanted in me. The port allows the chemo drugs easier access to my body. While not everyone gets a port, it is quite common. My veins are small, so a port is necessary otherwise the chemo drugs, if they were to come in contact with my skin, would burn me. I question the wisdom of putting drugs like that in my body, but I've been told it is for the greater good of my health. hmmmm...

After the port is installed, I don't know now long I have to wait to begin chemo. I hope soon. I just want it to be over.

No comments: