19 November 2008

Radioactive (wo)man

Today snapshots were taken of my heart. The process used to take the pictures is called Muga. In a nutshell, I had some blood drawn. My blood is mixed with radioactive materials (for about 25 minutes), and then injected back into me. Finally, I laid down on a machine with a special camera, and pictures were taken of my heart. The best part of the procedure was not needing to wear a hospital gown. I was able to wear my clothes, I didn't even have to take off my shoes.

Why the pictures? Because one of the chemo drugs, Adriamycin, may cause heart problems. These pictures of my heart will let the doctor see if my heart is currently healthy; and then if so, be the baseline image of my heart for the doctors to refer as I proceed through chemo. I will need to probably go through this process at least 2 more times.

As I left the hospital, the technician handed me a card and told me that I am radioactive for 2 more days. If I were to need to go through a security machine during that time, this card would be for the guards to know that I am just radioactive and not carrying any weapons. I really want to go through a security line right now, but I have no reason to do so. Oh well...

1 comment:

Jonathan Kelley said...

This is you? http://www.jayfife.com/images/art/radioactive.jpg