30 September 2008

Happy October!

AKA Breast Cancer Awareness Month

I must say that our corporate friends are really jumping on board to promote breast cancer awareness. Last month, while in Target, following one of my post-surgical appointments, I found an end-cap (might have even been 2) covered in pink kitchen appliances. Just what I need, a pink can opener! Doesn't Dyson makes a pink vacuum? The grocery store even has pink boxes of cereal (is it Cheerios, I can't remember).

My October issue of Real Simple published an article on breast cancer basics and ran plenty o' pink ribbon ads. I'm sure many other women's magazines did the same. Unfortunately, I am not in the mood for breast cancer awareness to be plastered everywhere. I'd like to leave my house to buy some milk & toilet paper, or read a magazine, and not be reminded.

I would also like to complain about this exploding marketing trend of pushing pink stuff but I can't because the marketing of this disease helps raise awareness, which raises money, which helps the medical community do further research, which is assisting my doctors and their teams with keeping me alive.

A friend of mine recently recommended to me an author who contributes to a blog which has entertained me with its witty sarcasm towards the commercialness of the breast cancer awareness month. So instead of complaining, I will share The Stupid Cancer Blog with you. Enjoy!

4 comments:

EU said...

Love you, Lady. Love that blog, too.

Lisa said...

Yep, I own the pink Dyson and love it more than I ever thought it possible to love a vacuum.

Jonathan Kelley said...

So does that mean next time we play tennis we *won't* be playing with the Ralph Lauren pink pony balls?

http://polo.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPOLO2-2147551_standard_v330.jpg

Jonathan Kelley said...

Perhaps this will work better.