05 September 2008

Order of Events, Part 1

So... I randomly found the lump in my breast on the evening of 8/7. Thought it was a little strange, so I called my doctor's office the very next morning to make an appointment. Turns out, if you say you found a lump in your breast, a doctor's office will find an appointment for you very quickly (or least that is my experience). After a brief examination, the nurse practitioner decided the lump was worthy of further examination.

The earliest appointment I could get for a mammogram and ultrasound was the next Thursday (8/14). Having a mammogram is an odd experience. For those who have never had one, a mammogram involves having your breast squashed between 2 pieces of metal at a couple of different angles. For more information on mammograms, and a really great picture of one, go to:http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/mammograms/mamm_tech.jsp
The mammogram provides proof that a mass exists in your breast area. I got to see my mammogram immediately following the x-rays, and was shown where the mass is located. The technician was very nice and explained the whole process to me beforehand so there were no nasty surprises. The next day, I was a little sore.

Immediately following the mammogram, I had an ultrasound (aka sonogram); well immediately following the snacks. My local hospital has this great snack collection of fruit cups, graham crackers (and other carb delights), and tea/cocoa for the ladies waiting for their next x-rays. The ultrasound provides the radiologist with a clearer picture of the shape and size of the mass. The ultrasound told my medical providers that I should meet with a surgeon, because whether or not the mass was malignant, it needed to be removed.

My mass is oddly shaped. I think that I was told it was 1.6cm x 1.8cm. Basically, the lump was described as very worrisome. I wish that I could remember the exact phrasing, but I believe that "worrisome due to malignancy concerns" was the statement on my lab report.

So next on my medical agenda was an appointment with the local surgeon...

No comments: