19 September 2008

Order of Events, Part Deux

So it seems in my earlier entry on my story, I left you waiting to learn more about my visit to the local surgeon. My mammogram and ultrasound results were ready on a Friday afternoon, and my doctor's office was able to arrange for an appointment with the local surgeon on the upcoming Monday afternoon. I was pleased with how quick the process was moving along.

My visit with the surgeon included meeting the local hospital's Breast Health Navigator, who is a nurse trained to assist women (I don't know about men) with breast health issues, including breast cancer. The surgeon asked me questions about my general health and then proceeded to say that she would like to do a biopsy on the lump; choosing to do a core needle biopsy AKA a stereotactic biopsy (For more information on the different types of biopsies available, see this page on breastcancer.org). What she did was remove multiple small pieces of the tumor for testing. A local anesthesia was used for the procedure, but even so, it was quite uncomfortable. Afterwards, Brandon, who was with me for the appointment, and I went to McDonald's where I ordered a Happy Meal because the toys were Star Wars related but I ended up with some bizarro Storm Trooper/Pan-like toy, instead of the Yoda that I had hoped for. I then returned home to watch a lie on the couch and watch bad movies while using a bag of frozen spinach as my ice pack (I needed to ice location of the biopsy).

The test results took a few days to come back from the lab, and while we had hoped to meet with the surgeon on Wednesday, the appointment did not happen until Friday afternoon. Based on what we learned, that was probably the best time. The surgeon did not waste any time telling us the results, which I liked. Although once the word "cancer" was spoken, I had difficulty focusing on the conversation which lasted about an hour. Prior to the appointment, my gut told me the diagnosis would be cancer, but actually hearing the word, is an experience I hope no one should ever have. Stunned would be the best way to describe my reaction, even now, almost a month later, I am still stunned. When did I become a cancer patient? This is not who I am, but from now on it will be one way to describe me (or, in the future, cancer survivor). It also now makes me a statistic. Who wants to be a statistic? Not me.

But back to the visit with surgeon...

Luckily Brandon was with me, so most of the conversation was between him, the surgeon, and the breast health navigator. Every once in a while, the surgeon would turn to me, force me to look at her, and tell me that "cancer is not a death sentence." From what I do remember, most of the conversation covered the pros and cons of the various options: a lumpectomy followed by radiation, a single mastectomy, or a double mastectomy. Also discussed was the suggestion to have genetic testing to find out of I am genetically predisposed to breast and ovarian cancers. Neither my father nor my mother can think of anyone in their families to have these cancers but then again, a long time ago, people just died. If we were living, 200 years ago, or even 50 years ago, I could have been one of those women who died young and no one would be sure of the causes. I have decided to have genetic testing but not yet.

I can't really say what else was discussed in the surgeon's office that afternoon since I wasn't really a participant. All I knew was that as soon as I left the doctor's office, I was going to call the Cleveland Clinic's Breast Clinic which will fast-track you for an appointment if you have never been there before and you have been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I called the clinic and got an appointment for the next Wednesday.

No comments: