18 September 2008

My Hospital Stay -- the quickie version

So it turns out that a hospital stay is not very relaxing. Nurses, technicians, residents, and interns all wandering in out of your room at all hours of the night and day. During my stay, mid-afternoon was probably the best time to sleep.

My operation went very well, and the initial biopsy done on my sentinel lymph node during surgery showed a clean path which means that the cancer did not spread to the lymph nodes (for more information on sentinel lymph nodes, see
this page from cancer.gov).

Due to some unexpected bleeding in the middle of the night after my surgery, followed by my blood pressure dropping to below 90 for a brief period of time, my surgeon suggested that I stay another night in the hospital. I must say that if you need to have breast surgery, the Cleveland Clinic is the place to go. Warm blankets before, during, and after surgery. Plus the CEO of the CCF wants all breast patients to stay on the VIP floor, so that was pretty cool. I had my own room, and Brandon was allowed to stay with me (he slept on a fold-out chair). The VIP floor has it own menu, so I was allowed to choose my meals, which were very nice. I had filet mignon for one of my dinners. Sadly I missed out on my blueberry pancakes when it was thought that I might need to return to surgery due to the bleeding.

So the reason why I am behind in updating the blog is not totally related to my health. Hurricane Ike whipped through my little town on Sunday night. We received no rain, but heavy winds which the local paper reported as being as strong as 75mph. The electrical power to my house has still not returned. I've heard that it might return this weekend which is not good news to the person who had hoped to watch lots of DVDs this week. I guess it is a good thing that I also like to read and sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG - what a relief that it hasn't spread!

No power! WTF! Get it together Mv!

XXX OOO

Jen Marek