23 September 2008

Order of Events, Will it ever end?

My mother arrived in Ohio the night before the appointment at the Breast Clinic. The three of us (Brandon, my mother, and me) woke up at 5:30am to be in Cleveland in time for my breast MRI, which was scheduled for 8:40am. Thanks to Cleveland morning traffic, road construction in the city, and having never been to the Clinic before, we barely made it on time -- but we did. The MRI process took about 17 minutes. Lying totally still while having a slightly chilled fluid pumped into my bloodstream via an IV was surreal but not as horrible as I expected. I did not feel particular enclosed since the machine was open at each end. The noise of the machine was loud but I wore ear plugs which helped muffle the sound.

After the MRI, I completed the CCF's Health Quest, which is an electronic form required of most CCF patients. Someone told me it was for the anesthesiologist. The form is also used by the surgeons to determine your health levels in regards to surgery. In my pre-op appointment, many of my responses to this questionnaire were referenced.

Finally, around 10am, it was time to meet the surgeon and her team. The surgeon's team includes a physician's assistant, nurse, and secretary. Plus I met a few residents, interns and medical students throughout my surgical experience. I brought with me to Cleveland, my mammogram, ultrasound and pathology reports with me. My local hospital had overnighted my biopsy lab slides. The surgeon was able to see all of my medical reports before even meeting me.

As with the other surgeon, this one also did not sugarcoat the diagnosis. She explained what was happening on the inside of me, and the treatment options. She then briefly felt the lump and my lymph nodes. During our visit, she told me how many of her patients are young women. (What is causing so many women under 40 to develop malignant tumors in their breast? Anyone have any ideas?)

The surgeon arranged for us to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss reconstruction options. We learned about implants and various reconstruction surgeries with involve moving stomach muscle and/or fat to rebuild the breast. We had hoped to also meet with a radiologist but none were available on such short notice.

Early in the afternoon, we left Cleveland with a lot of information; and a lot of flowers and vegetables from the farmer's market located in the empty lot across from the breast clinic building. Every Wednesday a really nice farmer's market is available on the CCF campus.

The time to make a decision had arrived. I was armed with a lot of information, but no clear path on how to proceed. No one else would (or could) make this decision for me -- it was all mine; and I had no idea what to do.

No comments: