27 December 2008

The Third Day of Christmas

Happy Holidays (whatever that holiday may be) to everyone!

So I am surviving the my latest round of A/C chemo. My appetite has not been good. I've been feeling more nauseous than usual (but no vomit yet!). And the exhaustion, aches, and pains are not going away.

Brandon and I chose to not travel for our holidays this year. The reason for this season was chemo. Holiday travel can be very stressful, and my body shouldn't be overly taxed. As it turns out, I had chemo scheduled for 2 days before Christmas so we couldn't reasonably plan to travel anywhere. We celebrated our first Christmas as a married couple with a tree, our cats, and a delicious meal at the local Chinese (non-buffet) restaurant. I ate a double serving of wonton soup, a couple of steamed dumplings, and a bite or two of crab rangoon. Brandon ordered beef in brown sauce, without vegetables but as per usual at this restaurant, the order was confused and the beef arrived with mounds of delicious looking broccoli. So now the broccoli leftovers await me in the refrigerator.

I love broccoli. Naively, I thought my love of broccoli would keep me safe from ever getting cancer. A quick Google search proves that I am not crazy, and broccoli is considered a cancer-fighting-healer vegetable, see here. So my love of broccoli now confuses me. I'm not sure how to take this next step in our relationship. How can I trust broccoli again? Sure it is still delicious and can be prepared in a variety of salads, soups, pastas, casseroles, etc..., but I counted on broccoli to protect me from a horrible disease, and broccoli failed me. So what is the moral of this tale? Don't count on food to stop cancer.

1 comment:

Jonathan Kelley said...

I think the broccoli lobby paid off the scientists in those so-called "studies". NOTHING good has ever come of broccoli - at least, not unless there's cheese on top.